Saturday 19 February 2011

Home Alone - Whoo Hoo!!

My wife's gone out for the day so it's just me and the cats, which conveniently gives me control of the remote control on a day where there is an abundance of live sport on tv! Having a bit of a pyjama day and don't plan on doing much except sitting on the sofa and watching sport, I may move for food!

I actually went to the football last night, Leicester City V Bristol City. I've supported Leicester for over 30 years, both my parents were season ticket holders and I was so young when I first went that I can't actually remember who the opponents were. You can go onto pretty much any football message board and find threads where people discuss their first game, I have no idea what mine was but it was sometime in the early to mid 70's. I had a season ticket until 5 or 6 years ago, but we moved to a new purpose built ground and with the a decline in the teams performance, it just seemed to be missing something that used to be there for me. Along with my best friend losing interest, I just gave it up. It was hard at first knowing they were playing and I wasn't there but I moved on. My Mum still subscribes to Sky Sport, she still loves football and understands all the rules, even the offside rule. My Dad passed away 11 years ago but the love of the game and the memories of going with him are very special to me.

I only go to three or maybe four games a season these days, usually when there is some kind of offer on, a ticket for a standard home game starts around £27-30, which when you filter in parking or train fare a bite to eat and a drink, it's nearing £50, with no real guarantee of being entertained. I was debating going last night all week as it was £20 for a ticket and a pie and a pint. It was just the Friday night kick off putting me off. Leicester Tigers are playing Rugby at home today and as the grounds are about 1/2 mile away from each other, it would be a nightmare if they both played on the same day.

I went last night as a freind at work has season tickets but her husband, who drives for a living, was stuck on the M40 which had been closed following a accident. It wasn't the greatest game but we won with a injury time goal so the majority of people there went home happy and it was a good way to start the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment